Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Holier than Thou

Two years ago I was a nun for Halloween. This Mother Superior costume required a lot of sewing. The main gown of the Habit was a long black gown. I made mine, but a graduation gown or something from a witch or grim reaper could be used.

Next came the white collar. I used a pattern I found for a quaker type costume and widened the collar. The collar attached in the back with a single sew-on snap. You could also use a white foam craft sheet. Attached to the collar with sew-on snaps was a long black rectangle of fabric.

For the head piece I used a white sheet of craft foam. I cut out a rectangular strip that wrapped around my head to just behind my ears on both sides. To this I sewed another piece of the black fabric cut into a large square. I stapled elastic to the two ends of the foam strip so it would fit around my head.

The finishing touches included a rope I tied around my waist and a rosary I made myself from beads I already had. The big cross was made for me by my grandmother a few years ago.

Here is a picture of me and my coworker Candy. Obviously she was an evil vampire goth chick or something. Though we tied for first place in the costume contest, good eventually won over evil. She still has the cross burn on her forhead to prove it.

No comments:

Post a Comment